Offering help for Tax Season.

Any non-gaming chat you wanna have.

Offering help for Tax Season.

Postby QuietiManes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:07 am

It's tax time! I'm still waiting on a T4 myself but since I hate just about every tax preparation company out there (with good reason) I'd like to offer help to those who'd like to avoid them. So if you've got questions about completing your tax return, I've got or will get you the answers. If you send your return in soon, you'll get it back in 2 weeks, no need to give someone half your refund to do your return or get your refund right away.

I've worked for CRA on and off since my teens so I have lots of experience. I have a good grasp on personal returns, trust returns, GST returns and if you're self-employed, I can help with that as well. I doubt anyone with corporate or payroll questions would be reading this, but if you do, I'm sure I can at least point you in the right direction to find your answers.

For the record, I don't want your personal information. So don't give me any. I will not ask for it. If your question is sensitive or if you'd just rather PM me, please feel free. Otherwise, post below and lets avoid paying others.

Also note: this is a personal offer of assistance, for "general" knowledge, I am in no way representing CRA and can not access your personal information. So don't ask.
QuietiManes
Registered Gamer

Re: Offering help for Tax Season.

Postby Desc440 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 pm

How hard is it to do your taxes yourself, generally speaking? Never tried before.
December 2013: the month GW finaly went full retard.

My base House Rules (can be modified with prior discussion) UPDATE 23-10-2014: Forgeworld allowed with prior warning, no Malefic Daemonology, no Superheavies/Gargantuan Creatures, no Maelstrom of War missions, no Unbound armies, only one Combined Arms Detachement/army-specific Detachment/large Formation (such as the Space Wolves Grand Company) and one Ally Det/small Formation (Tau Firebase Support Cadre, for ex.). Non-SH/GC Lords of War allowed.
Desc440
Registered Gamer

Postby newborn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 pm

I tried last year, 15 mins later I did the flipping table meme and went to liberalTax to let them do it for me.
newborn
Registered Gamer

Postby QuietiManes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:44 am

It really depends on your situation and your abilities. If you have average math and finance skills, it is fairly easy to do your own taxes. Assuming you just have a regular return, regular type of job, don't own your own business, etc. Oddly, if you are self-employed and are running your own business, you are probably more capable to do your taxes than the average person, even though the taxes themselves will be more involved. Since you handle your finances on a regular basis already. It is really more myth and misunderstanding keeping people from doing their taxes in that instance. The reason most of the "business community" uses book keepers is because it makes financial sense to pay someone else to do that work (as their time is better used improving the business, making money and the like), not because it's too complex.

The hardest thing, in my opinion, is to just follow through and not get distracted. I.E. look at each line, do that line, move on to the next line, look at it, do it, go to the next...etc. Most problems come from jumping around the return or trying to "bend" the results. There are lots of the "if, and, but" etc's, that you have to pay close attention to, if you don't you can claim or miss claiming something that makes a large difference.

There are even free "how to" seminars for anyone who wants to learn OR special classes for those who "qualify" with CRA. See here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/vlntr/menu-eng.html

Lots of info here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/menu-eng.html

In short, it is easy enough that most people feel like it's well worth the effort after they take an hour to work their way through them for the first time. But again, it depends on you, if balancing your cheque book makes you cry...it might be better to avoid the issue.

What I'd suggest you do, if you're so inclined, is get your income slips together and a pencil, with your return. Look at the first income slip, any box with an amount in it, look on the back/bottom of the slip for where that amount is put on the return, write it on the return, move to the next box. Work your way through all slips, add up all the amounts for each line on the return (if any had multiple amounts) and write that in the line. Once all the slips are put on the return, go through the tax return and just follow through, doing as instructed. If you get stuck, lost, confused, an insane result, feel free to ask for help. I'm sure we can sort it out. Depending how familiar you are with the return and the lines involved on it, how fast you read, etc, it might take an hour or 2 for a simple/regular sort of return, the first time. Just because you'll be reading a bunch of stuff for no reason, re-doing the math, etc.

Otherwise, I've got lots of free time lately, if you want to meet up for a coffee at Timmies or something, I wouldn't mind walking you through the process (if you bring your paperwork). Desk440, newborn, anyone else who wants to save some money, offer is out there for everyone (assuming there will not be a huge response...I'm still just one man 8-) ).
QuietiManes
Registered Gamer

Postby Desc440 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 am

How familiar are you with the extra hoops we have to jump through on my side of the river?

My base House Rules (can be modified with prior discussion) UPDATE 23-10-2014: Forgeworld allowed with prior warning, no Malefic Daemonology, no Superheavies/Gargantuan Creatures, no Maelstrom of War missions, no Unbound armies, only one Combined Arms Detachement/army-specific Detachment/large Formation (such as the Space Wolves Grand Company) and one Ally Det/small Formation (Tau Firebase Support Cadre, for ex.). Non-SH/GC Lords of War allowed.
Desc440
Registered Gamer

Postby QuietiManes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 am

Well, Quebec isn't too different. They do hold onto the provincial portion of the return with a white knuckle grip though. So, while I've never been "trained" for that section of your return (as I've only worked on the "federal" side of the tax system), it is all the same...just different...if that makes sense...I mean, I'm "intimately" familiar with every other province and I've even worked through a few QC federal and provincial returns for friends in the past.

In short, I'm fairly certain I can handle anything you throw at me.
QuietiManes
Registered Gamer

Postby QuietiManes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 am

My, how I do like to go on then say "in short" and go on some more... :twisted:
QuietiManes
Registered Gamer

Postby Desc440 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:57 am

Haha, well I'd sure be appreciative of any help you could provide.

Desc440
Registered Gamer

Postby QuietiManes » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Just let me know how I can help.
QuietiManes
Registered Gamer

Return to Off Topic