new to warhammer

Everyone starts somewhere.

new to warhammer

Postby Jean1951 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 am

Hello,

i went to game summit and spent most of Saturday looking at the fantasy tournament. I decided to give warhammer a try and see where it would lead.

I have pick up a small army around 1600 pts with re enforcements flocking to the clan banner.

I am searching for the following: 1) When do the warhammer club at Fandom 2 get together?
2) Are there any warhammer fantasy players in Gatineau area?

What is acceptable: 1) I have come to the conclusion that the rats are large horde requiring quite a few models. I would like some flexibility in the army. So my clanrats would also double as slaves. If I put shields on half my clanrats. Would it be acceptable to have half the unit with shields in the front ranks the rest without shields and call the group shielded. I such a fashion I would be able to field the opposite front ranks without shields rear with shields and call them slaves.

2) would a set up above be acceptable if I ever brought them to a tournement?

Any thoughts

Best regards,

Jean
Jean1951
Registered Gamer

Re: new to warhammer

Postby Zamfir » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

If you were gonna do that mix the two up so the person wouldn't notice
Don't want to paint anything? I'll do it for you!
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14853
Zamfir
Registered Gamer

Postby WuZhuiQiu » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Jean1951 wrote:Hello,

i went to game summit and spent most of Saturday looking at the fantasy tournament. I decided to give warhammer a try and see where it would lead.

I have pick up a small army around 1600 pts with re enforcements flocking to the clan banner.

I am searching for the following: 1) When do the warhammer club at Fandom 2 get together?
2) Are there any warhammer fantasy players in Gatineau area?

Best regards,

Jean

[A.]1) I'm not sure about when, but you may want to ask on their (the CWC) forum:
http://www.centretown.ca/forum/index.php

[A.]2) Apparently so, for example at Frères de Bataille:
http://lesfreresdebataille.net/fdb/index.php

What is acceptable: 1) I have come to the conclusion that the rats are large horde requiring quite a few models. I would like some flexibility in the army. So my clanrats would also double as slaves. If I put shields on half my clanrats. Would it be acceptable to have half the unit with shields in the front ranks the rest without shields and call the group shielded. I such a fashion I would be able to field the opposite front ranks without shields rear with shields and call them slaves.

2) would a set up above be acceptable if I ever brought them to a tournement?

[B.]1) That's what I would consider doing, too. There is an old GW precedent or example that was mentioned in White Dwarf magazine during the previous Skaven release - the GW studio author suggested modelling clan rats half-and-half, with spear and without, and using them just as you suggest. However, and these days, I don't know what is acceptable to whom.

[B.]2) It might depend on who was running the tournament - some, like the Game Summit ones, might be pickier than others.
WuZhuiQiu
Registered Gamer

Postby Mael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 am

Hi Jean,

I've seen players for fantasy in the Gatineau area, but not in a long time. They usually came during the daytime being all either in University, Cegep, unemployed or had varying working schedules (the trend, no 9 to 5 vers). From what I could gather from the local pulse in Gatineau, most players have abandonned or are really tired of GW. As for fantasy, other then those 4 players, I've no knowledge of anyone still playing it.

Looks like you're going to have to either dig the 4 gatineau players up or play in Ottawa.
Sorry dude.
Mael
Registered Gamer

Postby Atwaetere » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 am

I still play fantasy and would love a battle if you are interested. When are you online? Also, can someone point me in the right direction. I am looking for some useful resources which could help me start enjoying the game a little more. i seem to get lost for most of the day. Late evenings is alright. there is a lot of help avialable online but apart from that there is nothing else.
Atwaetere
Registered Gamer

Postby Doomwolf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I don't live in Gatineau, but I'm looking at getting a car this month & work during the day; I live by Bank and Heron and getting to Gatineau when it isn't rush hour would not be too difficult (once I have said car). I'm just starting to get back into the game (haven't played in 3-4 years, feels like forever) and am in need of opponents. I will warn you that I don't speak a word of French though, I am 110% angophone.
Doomwolf
Registered Gamer

Postby tatz_101 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey jean,

I think I may be able to give you some useful advice on this one. In the clan rats boxes half of the models come with some form of metallic armor(breastplate, helmet ect) the other ten however just have cloth clothing and make perfect slave models.

If you gave the ones that are already armored shields and left the ones without any armor without shields, that would work very well to separate your clan rat and slave models.

Combining the two types of models shouldn't be an issue in pick up games, and the only way I see it being an issue in tournament play would be if you gave them different weapon options(for example giving half of them spears the other half hand weapons) aside from that you should be good :)

PS, since you're new I'd also suggest staying away from spears in general, hand weapon shield is much better in 8th ed ;)
Orbital wrote: Why are we here? Are we worthy of love? After much consideration and inward searching, I've come to a simple but enduring perspective which guides me and even propels me, despite the persistent ambiguity that's woven into the postulated quandary as well as the satellite problems:

I like tits.

Best Painted - Battle Brothers Aug, 2013
tatz_101
Registered Gamer

Return to Newbie Chat (Warhammer Fantasy)